Friday, April 4, 2014

One Month In - Surfers, Brisbane & Noosa

Brisbane's Man Made Lagoon 

So we’ve been in Australia for one month now, which is hard to believe as it feels like it should be so much longer. We’ve slept in a total of six different hostels and nine different rooms, experienced both city and town life, and done things I could have only imagined doing. We’ve met friends that’ll continue on with us, and friends that we’ve been sad to say goodbye to. Friends that have lasted a day, or some that have just been part of one evening. Sitting on the bottom bunk today, writing this with a fan directed solely at my head and desperately trying to stream the season finale of How I Met Your Mother, I think it’s safe to say that we’ve well and truly adjusted into the backpacking life. Since starting our Oz adventure on March 6th, we’ve visited Sydney, Byron Bay, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane and now Noosa. We’ve hiked mountains, visited Steve Irwin’s zoo and canoed around the Everglades - it’s pretty surreal to think this is actually my life, after what seems like years of saving up, planning and waiting. 

So to back up a little - we stayed in Surfers Paradise for a total of three nights, and it rained the entire time… There was no beachy paradise for us I’m sad to say, but it was a great place to stop off by. Cheap shops, good bars and again more good friends met along the way. To be honest there’s nothing really worth writing home about our stay there, so instead - off to Brisbane! There we stayed for six days, and were lucky enough to have the sunshine back in our lives. A previously booked package meant we had two free dinners during our stay, a welcome drink on arrival and a all-day trip to Australia Zoo, where I was finally able to hold a koala! Personally, I’m not such a fan of the city life. It was very similar to Sydney, with busy roads and people shopping all around you, and there wasn’t really that much we found to do. Apart from the man made lagoon situated right in the middle of Brisbane, it was quite difficult to find things to occupy ourselves with that wouldn’t end up costing a lot. To me it didn’t really feel like Australia should do, if that makes sense. Walking around in our swimwear, covered in sand and carrying towels, it was safe to say we stood out compared to those in their suits and on their way home from work. It was a nice place, with a great little bar we found offering jugs of beer and cider for just $7.50, but I wouldn’t say I’m in a real hurry to get back there. Plus, the worst nights sleep I’ve yet to have so far also took place in Brisbane thanks to good old Aaron… Not just a snorer, but someone who gave a fantastic impression of a wild boar with tourettes being slaughtered in it’s sleep. I was lucky enough to share a bunk-bed with him…

Noosa Everglades

We arrived in Noosa three days ago, and instantly I felt more at ease. The sun was well and truly out, and the ocean could be spotted from just outside the hostel. It really reminds me of Byron Bay here, with everyone very chilled out and the roads quiet from morning till night. On Thursday we had a day trip canoeing around the Everglades. I wasn’t too sure what to expect, as many of our friends hadn’t bothered booking this particular trip, but I can easily say it was one of the funniest and loveliest days I’ve had in a while. Despite my Nan thinking I was going to be battling crocodiles with my oar and diving over ferocious rapids, it was the most peacefully beautiful place I think I’ve ever seen. Admittedly I turned out to be a pretty shoddy canoeist and had my fair share of near-death tree collisions, but I would happily do it all over again. We met some great people, even bumping into a guy who lives just ten minutes away from me at home and who my sister knows - such a small world! Our tour guide put on an amazing BBQ spread for lunch, with luxuries such as coleslaw and buttered bread - things this backpacker hasn’t had the pleasure of so far. Amazing day, would highly recommend it to anyone passing by Noosa. 
We’ve also had our fair share of ‘goon filled nights’ since being here, with our most recent seeing us in the sea at 1am… Don’t worry Mum, I wasn’t one of the skinny-dippers, but Jack on the other hand…  

Next stop - Rainbow Beach and Fraser Island! 

2 comments:

  1. It's fun reading about your adventures! I am currently planning on going to Australia in February 2015 on the work and holiday visa, so your blog is very inspiring! One question, have you found a job yet or do you know how difficult the job market is? I'm hoping to live in Melbourne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, thanks so much for the lovely comment! I'm glad that it's been of you to you. Personally I haven't started looking for jobs yet, as we're continuing our travels up the East Coast and stopping off in Cairns to look for farm work there. We want to apply for our second year visas, which you can do after three months of 'seasonal' work (farming, fruit picking, construction etc) However, a few of my friends found jobs quickly and easily via Gumtree, Help X and other backpacker job sites. Hostels also offer free accommodation/food in exchange for housekeeping roles and bar work etc - so there's plenty around at all time :) I can't wait to visit Melbourne, we may even be there at the same time next Feb! X

      Delete