Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The End of the East Coast


After two long months on the road, with nothing but a suitcase, backpack and a gradually decreasing bank account, our backpacking journey of the East Coast in Australia has come to an end. There’ll be no more weary morning checkouts, or sixteen-bed room shares - no more noodle dinners, chocolate biscuit breakfasts or McDonald lunches. No longer will we have to sleep curled up in the seat of a Greyhound bus for thirteen hours, or drag all of our worldly belongings behind us as we race to the bus station. But don’t let that put you off, because it’s safe to say that these have been the greatest two months of my life (cliché, sorry!) 

After quitting my job, saying goodbye to family and friends and moving myself over to the other side of the planet, I was soon doing things I could have only imagined. I’ve jet boated around Sydney Harbour and seen where Russell Crow lives. I’ve had surfing lessons from the best instructors in Australia, Mojo Surf, and I’ve hiked through the Blue Mountains with a friend of Steve Irwin. I’ve had a top-notch dinner at the top of Westfield Tower and been able to watch so many incredible sunsets in so many different, beautiful places. I’ve visited Steve Irwin’s zoo in Brisbane, canoed around the everglades in Noosa, and gone camping on the amazing Fraser Island. I’ve sailed around the Whitsunday Islands, slept under the Milkyway on a racing boat, visited the third most beautiful beach in the world and gone snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef itself. Last week I even jumped out of a plane at 14,000ft and did my first bungee jump. So yes, it’s been a pretty great couple of months!


We’ve crammed so many incredible experiences into the last two months that it feels like we’ve been out here for so much longer. It feels like a lifetime ago since we were saying goodbye to our families at Gatwick Airport, feeling a combination of sadness and excitement to be leaving. It feels even longer ago that we had our first week in Sydney - meeting everyone in our OzIntro group for the first time and all starting our travelling journeys together. To say we’ve met some great people along the way would be an understatement. We’ve had friends we’ve stayed with for a few weeks, and some we’ve only seen for a few days, but each have made the Australia experience that little bit better in their own way. 

Group One - Fraser Island

Backpacking forces you to be independent and responsible, whilst at the same time encouraging you to go that little bit crazy and do things you would never do back at home. Most people only get to do this once, so when someone asks you out somewhere, or when the opportunity to jump out of a plane arises, you say YES. Even though the thought of doing a bungee jump absolutely terrified me, the idea of going home and being unable to say I did everything that I could have possibly done, was even more off-putting. Besides, apart from losing my shoe halfway down, it really wasn’t so bad! 

Mission Accomplished! 

For the next three months, Jack, Abbie and myself will be working on a banana farm in Atherton Tablelands, just near Cairns. Working three and a half days a week for our accommodation and a weekly allowance of $100, I’ll be in the farm shop, packing and grading the bananas, as well as doing odd jobs for extra money. It’s much harder work for the boys, who are actually out in the banana paddocks digging and doing the physical work. There’s ten backpackers here in total, living in our own block that includes five bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and dining area as well as a living area with TV. It’s not a palace, and the money isn’t great, but it means that after three months we’ll be able to apply for our second year visas which is our main goal. It’s going to be a simple existence, definitely different to what we’ve been experiencing, but it means we can actually unpack our bags properly and start buying and cooking real food - something I am VERY excited about!

Spring Creek Produce

So far there’s no real plan for after the farm work, so it’s just time to sit back, make friends and try to make the most of our time here. Our travelling adventures will definitely continue on afterwards, but for now… this backpacker is hanging up the backpack.

Happy Travels :) 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe, love reading your blog it gets me excited for what lies ahead for my self! Im currently in Australia in a 1 Year Working Visa my self but my dad lives here and Im staying with him at the moment so Im not experiencing the things I want to at the moment. Was just wondering how difficult you found it to find a job doing your regional work? Im looking to move up North by the end of June to find some regional work to qualify for my Second Year Visa, any help would be awesome thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for the lovely comment :)
    We were actually really lucky when it came to our regional work - compared to some horror stories we've heard from friends, we genuinely looked on Gumtree for a total of two hours, before emailing our farm and getting a call back within minutes. The fact that their advertisement had only been up that day worked in our favour, as well as the fact we were able to start exactly on the day they wanted us to. Some people look for ages, or have to fly in order to reach their farms, but we only needed to get a two hour bus, which again was super lucky for us.
    My advice is, just keep looking on Gumtree to get an idea of the kind of ads you'll come across, and when the time comes, make sure you look in advance and don't leave yourself stuck with nowhere else to go. Be prepared to do your regional work early into your travels, maybe even mid-way, and don't be too choosy - the hours will be long, the work dull and tedious - but if you've a good group of people with you it'll be no problem. Keep me posted as to how your travels go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome! Yeah I've been using Gumtree a bit and I've seen some ads with things im looking for it's just good to get someone else's input too! Nothing wrong with doing your homework haha! Getting to places shouldn't really be a problem, I know public transport isn't always cheap but it doesn't exactly break the bank. I suppose just getting out and about will help too! I've found a hostel in Coffs Harbour that help people like us get fruit picking work so perhaps i'll give that a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!! I'm glad you enjoyed your time here!
    - ZeroDeadTime.com

    ReplyDelete