Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The End Of A Perth Era

The Lucky Shag 

Before I even start this post, big apologises to Karen Semmens, who has told me over and over again for the last four months that I needed to update my blog - so here it is! 

So it’s officially the end of an era, as we packed up our belongings once again and closed the door to our apartment in Perth for the final time. After three long months of working, saving money, and working again, it was finally time for us to don the flip-flops and get our unemployed backpacker status back. It wasn’t the easiest of beginnings for us, as we arrived into the city not knowing a single person, not knowing anything about the location, and on the off chance we could all find jobs and an apartment to live in. (Cue the apartment pants and new job boots*)
The apartment side of life went pretty smoothly, if you can call living right next door to a Gentlemen's Club smoothly… Cheap rent, a ten minute bus ride into the city centre and landlord who liked to “pop in” unexpectedly - what more could you want? 
Job wise, things were a lot tricker. It turns out that in Australia, once you’re over the age of 21 and earning a full adults wage, practically no one wants to hire you! After multiple days of CV handing out, and forcing ourselves to politely say ‘Oh no worries, thanks anyway!’ every time we got rejected, it finally looked like we were getting somewhere. 
Both Jack and Abbie managed to find work in a coffee shop and juice bar, whilst I was taken on by a charity organisation, which I was originally told, would make me ‘mega bucks’. Turns out that’s only the case if you’ve been a fundraiser for about seven years and can charm the pants off any one as they rush past you to grab their train. Safe to say that wasn’t me. Hello two days work for absolute nothing, and hello unemployment once again. Luckily for me, it was just at that time that a fancy dress / accessories shop in the city was deciding to hire, and thankfully, called me. 
My boyfriend, or Frenchie, as I like to call him, also found a job in a French bistro as a kitchen hand  / cook - all was finally well for the group!

I won’t lie, over those three months we didn’t exactly do anything majorly exciting, as our main goal was to save as much money as possible for our upcoming adventures. But a few things Perth was good for, would be the Color Run, (the photo below explains everything) and our random day trips out and about exploring. 
From a backpackers point of view, I don’t think I’m going to miss Perth - it was a nice place to settle for a short period of time, but as for things to do and see, the list comes up short… I did however, meet and work with some amazing people who made the whole experience that little bit better!


The original three are back together, sadly leaving Frenchie behind in Perth to continue working, and are now in Melbourne, where we’ll next be renting a camper-van for a two week road trip along The Great Ocean Road. After that comes many more exciting plans, so watch this space :) 


*True ‘Friends’ viewers will understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment