Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Packing 101

48 hours to go and counting! 

If you know me, you'll know how much I hate packing. Like, really hate packing. I could be off on a fantastically exotic holiday, or just popping down to Canterbury for the weekend, and I'll still loath the task just the same. There's always that worry you'll forget something drastically important, or end up with too much stuff that your bag suddenly becomes a health hazard when trying to manoeuvre yourself down a crowded train carriage. These are both things that seem to occur for me on a regular basis - and let's not forget the time I packed in such a rush that when I went to pull my headphones out of my bag, my underwear that had become tangled also came flying out into the middle of the plane isle. Faaaantastic. 

For this trip I've purchased a 120L Karabar backpack (£20 from Amazon, what a snip) and just a regular, what I call, school backpack, for hand luggage. Knowing full well what I'm like, I decided to make a packing list in advance, and have been ticking off and adding as I go along - leaving no room for last minute knickers to come flying out mid-journey. It's been a hard task, with some emotional goodbyes said to my favourite boots, hoodies and oversized handbags, which have no place in an Ozzy Backpackers life...

So here it is, every little item I'm taking with me, helpfully split into sub-headings for your own...enjoyment? 


Electronics: (And Chargers) 
Phone (iPhone + Mini-brick) 
MacBook 
Kindle
Camera
Headphones (Beats + Apple) 

Clothes:
Jeans x 1
Leggings x 2
Denim Shorts x 3
Material Shorts x 2
Skirts x 2
Dresses x 3
Playsuit x 1
Vests x 4
T-shirts/Crop Tops
Jumper x 1
Hoodies x 1
PJs x 1
Bikinis x 3 (No two tan lines the same!) 
Waterproof Jacket 
Black Work Trousers 

Underwear:
Pants x 14
Bras x 3
Liner Socks x 3

Shoes:
Converse 
Flip-Flops x 2 (Beach and Dressy) 
Black pumps 

Toiletries:
Toothbrush
Toothpaste (Travel Size)
Face-wipes
Deodorant
Shampoo (TS)
Conditioner (TS)
Shower Gel (TS)
Sponge
Razors
Antibacterial Gel 
Dry Shampoo
Body Spray
Comb
Hair-ties/Clips/Bands
Tweezers
Make-Up
Birth Control
Moisturiser 
Nail Clippers
Sting/Bite Relief
Insect Repellent 

Misc:
Sunglasses x 2
Adaptors x 3
Watch
Hat
Mirror
Dressy Jewellery 
First Aid Kit
Small Handbag
Purse
Memory Stick 
Micro-fibre Towel
Sleep Mask
Earplugs
Pashmina 
Windup Torch
Travel Hairdryer
Laundry Bag 
Padlocks

Documents:
Passport
Drivers License
OzIntro Booking Confirmation
Base BackPackers Voucher
Debit Card
Plane Tickets
Itinerary Printouts
Travel Insurance 
Bank Information 
Emergency Contact Info
Work References 
P45 

...............................

Don't forget, unless you're moving the Timbuktu, there will be shops - so in order to avoid the Ross Geller 'Shampoo Incident of 2003' it's probably best to wait until you're there to stock up on sunscreen, aftersun and all those lovely things that have the ability to explode in your bag and ruin your day. Happy travels! 

No comments:

Post a Comment